In my practice people often come to me with the problem of stubborn weight loss, despite workouts 5 days per week and a healthy diet. What used to work for them no longer works and frustration is high. The good news is that there is an explanation and it can be corrected. The bad news is that it can be one or many of the following reasons:
- Chronic stress causes cortisol levels to rise in the body. Cortisol not only tells the body to store fat, but blocks important hormones such as thyroid.
- Inflammation from food sensitivities, injuries and intestinal overgrowth such as Candida yeast leads to insulin resistance. Insulin resistance increases fat storage.
- Toxins from medications, chemicals, body care products, pesticides and plastics burden the liver. Without proper nutrients, the liver cannot metabolize them and stores them in fat.
- Chronic “yo-yo dieting” lowers the body’s metabolism and fat-free diets remove the building blocks to proper hormone balance and ability to burn fat.
- Toxins such as chlorine and fluoride reside in the thyroid where iodine should reside, causing hypothyroidism.
- Clients may unknowingly take supplements that are toxic or harmful for their specific body chemistry again causing inflammation and fat storage.
- Physical activity or the exercise routine may not be proper for the client’s current condition or stage of life, causing adrenal fatigue, high cortisol, low metabolism, injury or fat storage.
Correcting these issues can be as simple as discussing your medical history and lifestyle questionnaire with me. Keep in mind that as a functional medicine practitioner and clinical nutritionist, I will be looking at lab work through a different lens of what is considered a healthy range for meeting your goals. After an initial assessment and lab review, we will meet again to present your personalized plan to sustained weight loss and better health.